Thursday, November 18, 2010

Week 13: Clear


I found this weeks information more relatable then ever. I mean, everyone knows someone, or themselves, who has or had a virus on their computer. Recently, my friends entire computer shut down with a virus related to Lime Wire. I think it is all about taking care of your computer and making sure you have virus and other protection to increase it's lifespan.


The book talks about, on pages 556 and 557 about computer secruity risks. Here are some of what they talked about as well as what Professor Mearns talked about in her lecture. By the way, the interview with the UF department for computer secruity risks was very informative!

  • Hacker: someone who gets access to a computer, illegally.
  • Cracker: Acesses a computer illegally, much like a hacker, but with the intent to destroy data
  • Script kiddie: Seems like a cracker, but does not really have the skills to perform those tasks
  • Cyberextortionist: Uses e-mail as a way to extort
  • Cyberterrorist: Uses the internet to destroy computer related to political reasons.


Hacking is some scary business, especially how you hear in the news about big businesses computers and networks getting hacked- because you'd think they would have enough security for that NOT to happen. Last week, I got a letter from University of North Florida, saying because I had applied there in 2006 and my personal information was in their system, a hacker had recently stolen files and mine could have been one of them. I had to call the crecit reporting bureaus and put a fraud alert on my credit report.

Below is a really great video I found on YouTube that talks more about viruses and hackers that has great narration and pictures. It helped add to this weeks lesson:



No comments:

Post a Comment