Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week 12: Clear


This weeks information was more of a refresher for me. I took a class Fall 2009 that went into nodes, TCPIP and nodes. Even though I am not a business or computer major, I found this information somewhat interesting. Computer technology is changing every minute, so who knows? Maybe all of this information in the power points will be obsolete in months? Years maybe?

  • A PAN, or Personal Area Network, is a network that people have inside of their homes. According to the power point, it generally reaches around 10-30 feet and is the smallest of the networks that we talked about.
  • A LAN, or Local Area Network, is a network that could span one building or several buildings clumped together. This may span nearly one mile.
  • A MAN, or Metropolitan Area Network, is a network that spans roughly 50 miles and could include a town, or perhaps a university that needs the network for research.
  • Finally, a WAN, or Wide Area Network, is a network that spans statewide or globally. An example of this is the internet itself.


I have a Wireless Router in my apartment, which inside my apartment I get perfect interset signal. However, the moment I step onto my porch, the signal strength goes down. According to the lecture, this could be due to the amount of obstructions inbetween the computer and the source of the signal. Also, because I do not have my network protected with a password, sometimes I cannot get on the internet, or my connection is slow because someone living next to me or above me is using my internet connection.

I used this video below to supplement some of the tougher material in this weeks information. I hope you find it useful, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment